Saturday, June 7, 2008

Combat Engine Complete!

for the foreseeable future the combat engine is finished. I'll likely do some polishing to it as time goes by but essentially it does everything needed.

the last few modifications made to the engine include the ability to evade/block attacks based on an agility formula, as well as the player and mobs may fail to hit (miss) their target based on a dexterity formula.

Also added is the chance to cause a critical hit which is also based on the player compared to mob agility.

along with this I have also added a combat log to the game so you can see exactly how much damage or blocks/misses etc are happening, as well as important system messages and experience gained. At this point the log does not save old data and I have not made the log text scrollable to look back at old text, I'll probably add that functionality in the future, but for the meantime it does remove old data and scroll upwards when the box is full so that you can always see the latest text. It can currently hold about 10 lines of text.

like all hud components the combat log can be closed and expanded to save space when not needed.

I've also added multiple effects from the use of items, not only does the shield increase the player's defense rating, it now has the bonus effect of adding 2% to block chance and the weapon adds 1% to critical hit chance.

This is heading towards 'special effect' items that add extra bonuses to the player stats like in action rpgs such as the Diablo series.

I realised after making the last post that there is more left to do then I thought :(
I've yet to implement the currency and vendors systems. at the moment NPCs can only talk to the player, there are no shops. I think I'll work on that next.

No comments: