Friday, May 16, 2008

NPC Pathing and AI

had a pretty good day yesterday, got the whole day off to work on my game and made some huge progress.

Mobs and NPCs can now randomly move in any direction they choose but are limited to a square area 100 pixels in any direction from their original starting point so that they don't wonder from one side of the map to the other or way past where they should be. Animation also works correctly with the direction they are moving.

And the next big step to come from this is movement during combat. If a mob is aggressive they now run upto the player and start fighting once the player enters their agro radius but not only that. If the player manages to outrun the mob by using sprint the mob will give up chasing the player and run back to their starting point.

I was so impressed with this when I saw it in action, played around with it for hours. I have not made up a video for it yet. I'm going to complete the menu system first and then I'll demo it all at once.

So yeah, next step is to finish creating all the menus including the player stats, inventory, skills and quests menus. Once thats done I think I'll make the player able to customize the action bar by adding and removing skills as well as implement the use of items and equipment in game.

No comments: